Cottonwood is a renowned Arizona mood disorder and addiction treatment facility located on a 35-acre campus in the foothills overlooking Tucson. We pride ourselves on our skilled and compassionate staff and integrative approach to treating mental health, substance abuse, and co-occurring disorders. To this end, we offer our clients a variety of program components, including:
- Co-occurring Disorders Program: Our internationally respected co-occurring disorders treatment is designed for clients who struggle with substance abuse disorder and mental illness, including depression, bipolar disorder, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Proper management of co-occurring conditions is critical, especially for preventing relapse after drug and alcohol treatment. Each patient who enters Cottonwood undergoes a detailed medical and psychiatric assessment so we can ensure that he or she is diagnosed and treated for any underlying mental health issues.
- Mood Disorders Treatment: Also known as affective disorders, mood disorders like anxiety or depression impact more than 40 million Americans and, if left untreated, can undermine a person’s ability to recover from substance abuse disorder. Cottonwood’s board certified medical director and master’s level counselors help patients to uncover and resolve long-standing psychological problems that can cause problems with mood. Clients are taught various techniques to change maladaptive attitudes, behavior, attitudes and beliefs, including how to use diet and exercise to optimize mood.
- Addiction Treatment: At Cottonwood, we believe that alcohol and drug treatment requires caring for the whole person and, therefore, our addiction treatment focuses on the mental, physical, spiritual and emotional needs of our clients and their families. We offer adults a variety of traditional and holistic treatment modalities, including detox, and our multidisciplinary team works, together with the client, to develop an individualized treatment plan.
- Family Program: Cottonwood uses four core elements – education, communication training, communication enactment, and multiple family group support – to help the family and loved one recover from addiction or mental health issues and provide a healthy home environment. The goal of our family program is to help you learn a new, more effective way of communicating and interacting. The program is available on an outpatient basis.
- Relapse Prevention: Before leaving our Arizona mood disorder and addiction treatment facility, clients are equipped with the tools necessary to help prevent relapse. In addition to learning how to identity and cope with destructive feelings and thought patterns, clients work to create a personalized relapse prevention plan. This includes the names and numbers of support persons, daily and weekly living schedules and techniques for managing critical relapse warning signs.